Hummus – prep time 5 min (yield about a cup)This versatile paste can be breakfast, with some fresh pita bread, a snack with carrot sticks, a sandwich filling, even used in cooking to thicken certain soups, the list goes on… This makes about a regular tub size that you can buy in the supermarket. (And costs pennies, compared to buying the prepared stuff!)
- 1 tin of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or about 3/4 cup dry, soaked overnight till soft)
- 2 tbsp tahina (sesame seed paste)
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Garlic and salt to taste
- 3-5 tbsp good olive oil
- Blitz all ingredients in blender or food processor until very smooth (you might need to add small amounts of water if it gets too stiff and sticky) – you want a final consistency like warm butter, very spreadable.
- You can also add a peeled chopped carrot, this makes it a bit less sticky and is a good way to sneak veg into things.
- To make it super-smooth, try adding less water and a tablespoon of yoghurt.
- For good presentation, serve in a shallow bowl, with olive oil drizzled on top, and a few pine nuts sprinkled on.
Guacamole – prep time 5-10 minutes (yield about 1 cup – nibbles for 2-4 adults with tortilla chips)
- very ripe avocado – (should yield to gentle pressure but not have visible depressions on the surface, as these mean bruises)
- coriander leaves
- red onion
- olive oil
- lime or lemon juice
- optional – jalapeno chili
- Peel the avocado – the best way to do this is to run your large knife around it, cutting down to the pit, then twist the two halves apart. Then use a spoon to get the large stone out. Chop into a fine dice and put in bowl. Add very finely diced onion, chili, and coriander leaves (large handful).
- Drizzle with about 1 large spoon oil and a bit of salt.
- Stir and mash with a fork to desired consistency. (Don’t use a blender or food processor as it will go all gummy.) If the avocado is ripe enough it should mash easily.
You can serve this as nibbles/appetizer/finger food – use tortilla chips or if not available you can toast small pieces of flat-bread in the oven. Also makes a good sandwich filling.